On 25 Mar 2008, at 12:41, Gergely Brautigam wrote:
One last question then I swear I will shut up :)

Why use perl for testing? Of course all others languages are used for testing this and that.. What excels perl to be used for testing. Obviusly it has powerfull regex, and datahandling capabilities... But besides that.. Why would anyone want to use perl? :)

Well it obviously makes sense if you're already working in Perl ;)

Apart from that, the Perl community has a highly evolved and culturally integrated attitude to testing - so even if you're not programming in Perl you may find some of the tools (both software and conceptual) useful.

And of course programs can talk to each other and there's no reason that they all need to be written in Perl. For example the MediaWiki team use Test::Harness (Perl) with a PHP testing module to run their PHP tests.

If you have a specific testing problem why not explain it here and we'll see if we can recommend anything?

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten