Ovid wrote:
I'd like advice on how best to implement this.

Currently, because so many module authors thoughtfully break
$SIG{__DIE__}, I routinely find that things like this break:

  ok $foo or die;   # sometimes still exits with zero
                    # or simply doesn't exit

Is it possible for $SIG{__DIE__} to stop the die? I don't think it is. And it's extremely rare for a DIE handler to alter the exit code.

Are you sure you're not just running into the old Test::Builder DIE handler and exit problems? Make sure you're using 0.77 or higher.

--
The past has a vote, but not a veto.
    -- Mordecai M. Kaplan