* Ovid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-06-29 10:55]:
> --- On Sat, 28/6/08, Aristotle Pagaltzis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I think the game is actually an excellent idea. The problem is
>> with the metrics. Here are some metrics that are inarguably
>> good:
>>
>> • has_buildtool
>> • extracts_nicely
>> • metayml_conforms_to_known_spec
>
> One problem with this is when you get dinged for an unknown
> key.  This means you can't extend your meta YAML file.  It's a
> hash disguised as YAML.  There shouldn't be a problem with
> adding to it, only subtracting from it.
>
> On a side note, I still don't understand why I sometimes get
> dinged for CPANTs errors.

Yes, but that doesn’t detract from my point. If those metrics are
faulty, they should and *can* be fixed – and either way they
measure good form directly, as good metrics should.

The problems with them don’t fall in the same category as looking
for arbitrarily chosen proxies for unmeasurable aspects of good
form (or even style).

Regards,