* chromatic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-08-30 20:45]:
> On Saturday 30 August 2008 05:01:11 David Golden wrote:
> > You can write "die" on missing prerequisites if you want, as
> > long as you realize that CPAN Testers can't tell that from an
> > error condition that you (or others) might actually care
> > about.
>
> Why die on missing prereqs? I use a META.yml because someone
> said that it's easier to determine prereqs without running my
> Build.PL. If the tester client ignores that, what good is it?

Err, are you serious, or is this tongue in cheek? Just in case
your question wasn’t trademark chromatic sarcasm:

The actual list of prereqs may vary with target system and may
require Turing-complete computation to determine. But *most* of
the time, the list of prereqs is static, so for the benefit of
tools that want to examine distributions without running any of
their code, such as CPANTS or Dave Cantrell’s CPANDeps, a static
list of prereqs is provided in META.yml.

However, it is STRICTLY ADVISORY and comes with no guarantee of
being precisely correct.

Since running the tests by definition is not just examining the
distribution as data (and the intent of installing it is even
less so), you need the exact list of prereqs.

META.yml is neither relevant nor useful for that.

Regards,