On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 08:46:37AM -0700, Ovid wrote:

> We have someone arguing that when our Perl apps move from staging to
> production, we must not run "make test" because:
>
> 1.  It's guaranteed to be 'bit-by-bit' identical to staging.
> 2.  Downtime must be minimized and we can't waste CPU or I/O on "make test".
>
> These are often heavily loaded boxes and downtime really is a crucial issue.
>
> For those of you in large environments, do you run "make test" or an
> equivalent when you push your code out to a production server?  Why or why
> not?

Again, no.

The reasons are as for your first reason - the app is packaged up and
only packages get installed on test and prod systems.  But this isn't
really a reason not to run tests, it's just a reason why it's OK not to
run tests.

The real reason is that the production system has a production database
running, and I don't want to do anything which might compromise that
database.  Similarly for the filesystem etc.

The downtime is also something to consider, but that would only be
important on installations which were near the limit of the allowable
time, and in general isn't a consideration for me.

--
Paul Johnson - p...@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net