On 4/21/09 4/21/09 5:01 AM, "Michael Peters" <mpet...@plusthree.com> wrote:

> Saftoiu, Rares wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if there were any tools available for doing continuous
>> integration with perl. I basically need something that will watch a
>> directory, merge any branches from the directory into trunk, run unit tests,
>> and email the committer in case of a merge conflict or failed unit test.
>
> What SCM tools are you using? For things like this I typically use just a
> simple
> bash script to do the update from svn, then if there are changes run the test
> suite. In your case it would be a little more complicated, but not much.

We're using bzr for source control, and as far as I can tell there isn't
much support for it yet since it's pretty young.

>> Any suggestions? Any tools specifically built for perl and Test::More?
>
> Smolder is great for the reporting of test failures. All you really need to do
> is create a TAP archive and send it to a Smolder server and it can send emails
> to your team or give you an RSS feed to pull from too. Creating a TAP archive
> is
> really easy if you use TAP::Harness::Archive (or if youse Module::Build
> there's
> Module::Build::TAPArchive). And sending it to smolder is really easy to. You
> can
> use the smolder_smoke_signal util that comes with Smolder or if you use
> Module::Build, there's Module::Build::Smolder.
>
> You can see the Parrot Smolder install here:
> http://smolder.plusthree.com/app/developer_projects/smoke_reports/8

Smolder sounds great for viewing the results, I was looking for something
that could deal with branches. We branch on every bug fix, and then when the
fix is done we push that branch to a particular directory, so at the end of
a bug fix cycle we have a bunch of branches that need to be merged. I'd like
a system that can watch that directory, merge a bugfix branch into trunk,
run unit tests, then report to the committer if anything failed (whether
there were merge conflicts or whether any tests failed).

Bzr makes branching super easy, in case you're wondering why we have so many
branches/merges.

>From all the feedback I've gotten, looks like we'll have to put together our
own scripts to do this.

Thanks,

--
Rares Saftoiu:  Webmetrics, A NeuStar Service
Software Engineer