  >    For some reasons I need Date-Manip-5.xx instead of the parallel
  >    developed version -6.xx. By time-stamp, -5.xx may even be newer

  >    cpan SBECK/Date-Manip-5.56.tar.gz

  >    works fine, but if you do that again, it will INSTALL the same
  >    module again, and again and again, whereas

  >    cpan Date::Manip

  >    will see that the latest version is already installed. As I have
  >    that specific notation as part of a long list of module arguments,
  >    stored in a file that is restarted after build fixes, it will indeed
  >    build and re-install Date::Manip-5.xx time after time again

CPAN documentation:

Specifying a distro with the install command (or on the cpan
commandline) always tries to install, that's indeed documented
behaviour, so no bug here. (I suppose you know that, just stating it for
further clarification).

CPAN News:

SBECK/Date-Manip-6.10.tar.gz is out. Works with 5.12. But still
DateTime::Format::DateManip fails tests with that.

Workaround 1:

If you enable distroprefs and write a distroprefs file with "goto", then
you can write "install Date::Manip" again. Something like (off the top
of my head)

  match:
    distribution: "SBECK/Date-Manip-6.10.tar.gz"
  goto: "SBECK/Date-Manip-5.56.tar.gz"

Workaround 2:

https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=55771 There is a patch.
Distroprefs can apply patches too, but a bit work involved, let me know
if you want help.

Workaround 3:

Install DT:F:DM with force. Distroprefs can specifify testing strategy
too, let me know if you want help.

HTH,
--
andreas