It's crazy.  But it's been that way since Perl 5.10.0 in 2007.  So now
we're stuck with it.

The C<$VERSION = eval $VERSION> idiom avoids some issues with it by
losing the underscore at runtime, but that might not be enough for
things that parse your distribution tarball version number and try to
do comparisons.

(see http://www.dagolden.com/index.php/369/version-numbers-should-be-boring/)

-- David