On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Dan Kogai wrote:

> On Sunday, April 14, 2002, at 05:38 , Sean M. Burke wrote:
> > At 23:30 2002-04-13 +0300, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> >> (You know what?  Since of the files will be named README.xx and
> >> written in pod, the build machinery will automatically create
> >> the pod pages "perljp", "perltw", "perlcn", and "perlkr"...)
> >
> > BTW, you all know those are country codes and not language tags, right?
>
> Right.  But sometimes we have to bend the rule to keep legacy systems
> happy.  So be it .(cn|jp|kr|tw) instead of .(zh_cn|ja|ko|zh_tw) ;)

  I'm just wondering what legacy system we have to/can make happy
by using (cn|jp|kr|tw) in place of (zh_cn|ja|ko|zh_tw).  My North Korean
brethren may not like it much if I use 'kr' instead of 'ko' (ko_kr) :-)

  BTW, I'm sorry to make things more complicated when we seem to
have enough headache with perldoc's handling of 8bit characters.  However,
I can't help thinking it'd be better to make README.xx in UTF-8 and let
Encode convert to legacy encodings depending on the present locale setting
(LC_CTYPE -> nl_codeset()) than the other way around. Am I missing
something here?

  Jungshik