> > I don't think people should be much writing those definitions by hand.
> > It would be easy to have a more user-friendly interface for that.
>
> At least we should document it is delimited by a single tab (Oh my
> python!) or better yet, replace the \t to \s+ in the regex that parses

Oh my make!  (Well, it's not a leading tab...)

> it.  I already know where it is so if you accept this idea, I'll send
> you a patch.

perlunicode.pod and "User-defined Character Properties" already
documents it.  I guess accepting \s+ is okay... but as I said,
people shouldn't be doing that by hand (much).

> As for the frequency of definition, don't you see it can be a handy way
> to alias character classes?  Who knows how creatively users use the

See above.

> features we add...
>
> >> I would like to make this a 5.8.1 todo of mine.....
> >
> > Whatever you try, it will be tested in the 5.9 branch first.
>
> I wonder when the branch will happen....

When we stop fiddling with 5.8 :-)

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen