To avoid problems with utf8- and latin1- behaviour on other systems, I intend
to create a (few) CPAN module(s) which will make pre-configured encodings
"perl native" (not really, of course, this will be perl modules, not XS). The
basic idea is to autoload some default encodings via the PERL5OPT variable:

    PERL5OPT=-MEncode::Default [=TERM,cp850,FILE,windows-1252,...]

This way, every one will be able to make one or more encodings default. It will
also be possible to work around the problems with different codepages for files
and terminals on Windows systems, to set special encodings for sockets and to
use perl scripts written in non-ascii charsets.

If there are any interest, I will probably post theese four modules on CPAN:

  Encode::Default - Use default encodings for files and terminals
  Encode::Std - Unconfigured version of Encode::Default (override default)
  Encode::Default::Win32 - Autoselection of codepages by Encode::Default
  Decode::Source - Filter for scripts written in other encodings than utf8

Most of the work is done and tested on PC/Windows, and partially on Cygwin.

Are there any interest of this?
// Magnus