Ed Batutis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>"Jarkko Hietaniemi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>> You do know that ...
>Yes.
>
>If wctomb or mbtowc are to be used, then Perl's Unicode must be converted
>either to the locale's wide char or to its multibyte.

Locale is per-user - file systems on Unix are multi-user and there is
no meta-data to say which locale a user was in when they wrote the file.

Many locale() C libraries don't give access to what the encoding
_is_ - and when they do there is next to no standardization of the
names used.

We tried using locale() it really didn't help...

>This isn't trivial,
>but Mozilla solved this same problem. It can portably work. (Are you
>listening Brian Stell!). It wasn't easy for them, but they did it.

I don't see him in the copy list so he probably isn't.
Mozilla is a (suite of) applications. Perl is a programming environment.
Mozilla has to solve the "problem", perl has to make it possible for
the programmer to solve the problem. We believe we have.

>> Imagine ...
>
>I don't have to imagine. But I think that where a Perl script opens its
>files is its own business.

Quite - and it up to the script/program to deal with this issue.

if (-d encode('sjis',$path)) # or whatever

>Here's my dilemma: utf-8 doesn't work as an argument to -d and neither does
>Shift-JIS (at least with certain Shift-JIS characters).

If there is a bug which prevents you passing what your system requires
then set this out clearly as a bug report, via perlbug or some other
mechanism which gives us details of your perl (perl -V etc.)

I suspect that the Win32 '\\' issue will need help from ActiveState
as the defacto Win32 porting experts. If a trailing '\\' has to be stripped
because OS objects then that isn't really perl's problem.

We may reach the point where it makes sense to have a pragma
which enables auto encode/decode of args to system calls, but
I don't think we understand common practice (or that such practices
are even established yet) well enough to specify that yet.