NAME
    lib - manipulate @INC at compile time

SYNOPSIS
        use lib LIST;

        no lib LIST;

DESCRIPTION
    This is a small simple module which simplifies the manipulation of @INC
    at compile time.

    It is typically used to add extra directories to perl's search path so
    that later `use' or `require' statements will find modules which are not
    located on perl's default search path.

  Adding directories to @INC

    The parameters to `use lib' are added to the start of the perl search
    path. Saying

        use lib LIST;

    is *almost* the same as saying

        BEGIN { unshift(@INC, LIST) }

    For each directory in LIST (called $dir here) the lib module also checks
    to see if a directory called $dir/$archname/auto exists. If so the
    $dir/$archname directory is assumed to be a corresponding architecture
    specific directory and is added to @INC in front of $dir.

    To avoid memory leaks, all trailing duplicate entries in @INC are
    removed.

  Deleting directories from @INC

    You should normally only add directories to @INC. If you need to delete
    directories from @INC take care to only delete those which you added
    yourself or which you are certain are not needed by other modules in
    your script. Other modules may have added directories which they need
    for correct operation.

    The `no lib' statement deletes all instances of each named directory
    from @INC.

    For each directory in LIST (called $dir here) the lib module also checks
    to see if a directory called $dir/$archname/auto exists. If so the
    $dir/$archname directory is assumed to be a corresponding architecture
    specific directory and is also deleted from @INC.

  Restoring original @INC

    When the lib module is first loaded it records the current value of @INC
    in an array `@lib::ORIG_INC'. To restore @INC to that value you can say

        @INC = @lib::ORIG_INC;

SEE ALSO
    FindBin - optional module which deals with paths relative to the source
    file.

AUTHOR
    Tim Bunce, 2nd June 1995.