Oops, I missed a step. Hopefully better (still untested) code:

  use Net::Telnet;
  $t = new Net::Telnet;
  $t->open("localhost");
  $t->login($username, $oldpass);
  $t->cmd(String=>'passwd',Prompt=>':');  # passwd command
  $t->cmd(String=>$oldpass,Prompt=>':');  # old password
  $t->cmd(String=>$newpass,Prompt=>':');  # new password
  @result = $t->cmd(String=>$newpass);    # new password again
  print @result;