Miguel,
The installation location for perl mods is actually
baked into the perl package that you are using
(various Config.pm's).
I have two separate versions of perl (5.005.03 and
5.8.3) and use the cpan shell to download/install perl
mods.
If you go this route and just modify your path to pick
up the 5.8.5 version of perl, or specify:
'/path/to/desired/perl/5.8.5/bin/perl -MCPAN -e shell'
then 'install yyy::zzz' it should install to the
correct location.

Hope this helps!

JD
--- "Demaerel, Miguel"