From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Anthony Ettinger
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 9:28 AM
To: $Bill Luebkert; Michael Meltzer
Cc: perl-unix-users
Subject: Re: [Perl-unix-users] how can user change text in cgi ?

Apache runs as an underprivileged user though. I'm
assuming you want one cgi script where they enter
their username and a vacation msg in a form from a web
page.

You would have to open up their ~/.forward files to be
world writable (which would mean they could
potentially change each others vacation messages).

It might be possible to execute a command with 'sudo
username' from your script, writing out the .forward
file for a particular user, creating as only writable
by that one user.

What do you think? Any other ideas?

--- $Bill Luebkert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Michael Meltzer wrote:
>
> > A user should change or create his vacation
> message text via perl cgi.
> > Does someone know about such a script ?
> > How can the user edit/change text ?
> > Where should I search/start ?
> >
> > We use apache, sendmail, procmail.
>
> If you have procmail set up to do your vacation msg,
> you could just
> modify ${HOME}/.vacation.msg by a simple open, write
> and close in the
> CGI script.  You would need to have write access of
> course.  In some
> cases, it would be in ${HOME}/.forward file instead
> - depending on how
> it's set up.  File locking could also be a
> consideration.
>
> --
>   ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert
> Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles
> Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   / ) /--<  o // //      Castle of Medieval Myth &
> Magic http://www.todbe.com/
> -/-' /___/_<_</_</_    http://dbecoll.tripod.com/
> Perl-Unix-Users mailing list
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]