I have an application that makes a socket connection early on and uses that connection throughout its processing.  The problem I am running into is that sometimes the app can run a long time and if the connection becomes stale (because the other side died while the app was busy on something else) the app fails.

What I want to do is add some kind of check to make sure the connection is still alive before I use it.  If it is stale I can reconnect, but I won't be forced to reconnect each and every time.  Is it possible to check the health of the socket connection in Perl?

Thanks,

Jessica