All.

We use XML::LibXML in our code, which is in turn used
to parse the sent and received XML between our backend
and front end webservers...

Since we upgraded to perl 5.8.5 from 5.6.1 all our
processes which read the XML and then input that data
into ORACLE  fail because the character encoding of
the data coming back from XML::LibXML is now in
utf8...

I tested this by doing the following

my $user_id= Unicode::String::utf8( $self->{user_id});
$self->{user_id} = $user_id->latin1;

This then fixed the issue...  However it would be a
mammoth task to upgrade several hundred modules to add
this fix to each and every value returned from
XML::LibXML....

So my question is this. Is there a better way I can
make XML::LibXML return latin1 rather than UTF8?

Regards

Marty