Thanks a lot folks for your suggesstions....

Jeff is correct...its a directory tree that gets deleted. To worsen the situation, I don't have root access to the system to do stuffs like recompiling perl binary, putting in handlers to be executed by the kernel b4 executing any unlink system call.

chmod 000 might work...will have to see.

Thanks a lot...

-Arijit

Jeff D <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Steve,

Agreed a FILE can be deleted/rewritten in this manner,
but according to his message, I'm pretty sure that he
is discussing a log DIRECTORY.

Jeff

--- Steve Dawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Quoting Jeff D <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > Look for all files (.pl?, .c?) and grep for
> unlink/rm
> > and/or log.
>
> Another thing you could look for is scripts which
> might be legitimately
> appending to the log but use
>
> open HNDL ">myfile.log";
>
> rather than
>
> open HNDL ">>myfile.log";
>
> There's more than one way to delete the contents of
> a file... @-)
>
> Steve

Yahoo! for Good