I'm using DBI to access the database and would like to enter the data into the mysql database in UTF-8 format. Everything I have read has indicated that if I can read the file using PerlIO, perl will automatically convert the data to UTF-8, but since the files are compressed and I'm uncompressing them in perl, I can't figure out how to get perl to translate the data into UTF-8. I would like for perl to translate the HTML entities to UTF-8 encoding as well, if that is possible.

I can't give you all the answers, but I generally use HTML::Entities to decode HTML entities, and Encode (eg. encode('utf8',$string) ) to transform the character encodings.

Hope this helps.