Sharp, Craig wrote:

I have a script that uses file::find to create a list of files within a subdirectory. Depending on the size of the directory, find can be very resource intensive. I need to find a better way to generate a list of files within a subdirectory for comparison to a time for deletion.

TIA

Best regards,

Craig Sharp

Quicken Loans | Unix Engineer | Direct: 734.805.7839 | Fax: 734.805.5513 | [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

That kind of depends on what you want to do. If all you want is to get a list of files in a specific directory, you could use

while (</directory/*.gif>)

to give you a list of all the .gif files in the specified directory.

If you want something a little more general, you can read a list of all the files (including other directory names) using opendir and readdir. You could even use opendir and readdir along with your own code to read an entire tree of files, but if you're going to all that work, you might as well use File::Find.

Carl.