Sharp, Craig wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I need to create a script that will monitor the proc table and watch for
> processes that exceed 5 minutes runtime and 90% cpu.  The script then
> needs to alter by email.  The email part I can do, but the rest, I have
> no idea where to start.

You mean alert rather than alter I assume.

You should start with an open source 'top' kinda program and either
adapt it to eliminate the GUI interface or just get the gist of it
by looking at the code.

Probably would differ by which UNIX variation you were using.  /proc
may not be available on all nixes, but ps is.

There may already be adaptations that do what you need - Google it.

Read the proc(5) man page for structure and links to other man pages