I may be wrong but I do not believe you can do this. This works with javascript because the javascript engine is client side (built into the browser). Perl is a server side tool. What you could do is something like this:

<form name="formName" method="POST" action="/zippywowscript.pl">

<input type="checkbox" name="newCheckBox" onclick="document.newForm.submit(); return true;" value="someValue">

HTH
Greg