On 6/22/05, Lewis, Alvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Man, you do have a problem.  Been there, done that!
>
> You are not being unreasonable, but then their request may not be
> unreasonable either. So you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.
> Depending on the nature of the application and the perceived (by your
> management) emergency, your position may appear inflexible and you may be
> subject to negative effects come perf_eval time.

Assuming I haven't left :-)

In short, if you don't have management support on your job requests
then you're screwed.

I thought I had, after the last rollout a couple of months ago, where
the spec kept changing right up until the day before when the version
to be  rolled out changed. I ended up working from 7am until 10am the
following day.
I was actually still writing the app an hour before go live.

  I'm a firm believer in the 'Dilbert' principle.  Weigh all your
options, choose the best course to satisfy your customers and plan for
the worst! Do what you can with the resources you have and lobby for
buy-in later.

Yes, I aways hope for the best while planning for the worst.
I think my biggest issue is I'm not a developer, I not paid to do it,
I wasnt trained, I wasnt even hired for it, I was hired to work on the
Service Desk, Since being hired I thought myself how to code.
I had always felt that since the PHB's know this, they shouldnt take advantage.
I swear nine times out of ten, they hand me a project, give me a
deadline, and inform people this upgrade would happen, and I still
would only have a vague notion of how to do it!