Durocher, Leo wrote:

> I need to extract Date, Time, Recipient-Address, Sender-Address and
> the Subject. So if I search for Auser I want any line (record with his
> email) to take all the information listed above into a new file. These
> would be in 3 files (which are generated from MS Exchange 2003) they
> are Tab delimited. I am new to Perl and need to get this information
> quickly. Any help would be greatly appreated. Below is a sample of the
> data in the file that I need searched. These files are Huge in
> production I chopped them DOWN. Again Thanks Leo

Leo,

I know this is a Perl mailing list, and I'm a Perl guy myself, but I was
dealing with the same problem a couple of months ago and actually found
a much better solution not using Perl.

I was trying to extract data from a set of CSV files of approximately
7MB each, one per day for the last 9 years, so several tens of gigabytes
of data. Using Perl to do this took close to two hours, which was too
long for what I wanted. I coded the same script up in Awk (actually
gawk) and it runs through all the files in about five minutes.

If you're doing a lot of extracting data from large text files like
this, take the time to learn Awk. It's not hard, and it's both
conceptually and practically ideal for that sort of task.

Mike