Jeremy White wrote:
Hi,

Was looking at something else and came across the -container option. What is it for? The option has no documentation, but does seem to do "something". It has a message loop (ContainerMsgLoop in GUI_MessageLoops), and a constant (PERLWIN32GUI_CONTAINER) which is checked/used in several places.

If anyone can provide an explanation - and perhaps an example:) I'll update the docs.

I've had a look at the code, and can tell you what it does, but I can't tell you why it's useful.

The -container option set the PERLWIN32GUI_CONTAINER flag against an object. See ParseWindowOptions in GUI_Options.cpp:

} else BitmaskOption("-container", perlcs->dwPlStyle,
                         PERLWIN32GUI_CONTAINER)

It is used in the ControlMessageLoop (the window procedure that is by default used to sub-class controls), and passes all unprocessed WM_COMMAND and WM_NOTIFY messages the objects parent. Search for PERLWIN32GUI_CONTAINER in GUI_Messageloops.cpp

The flag is automatically set in Create() on the parent of any window or control that is not itself a window(Window, DialogBox, MDIFame, MDIClient)

So there you go.  I can't think of a use for it.

Rob.