Never had that at all, and I love to keep my taskbar stuffed with around 15
open apps, 10 of which are min'd while I deal with 3 of the other 5. Even on
mon mornings, after around 64 hrs of win-dozing, they come up normally ...
that is, as painfully slow as is usual for this OS ;-)

There must be something in your water. Does it only affect your Win32::GUI
wins? Then you should check their ... erm ... sleep cycle by i.e. having a
timer sub that changes the caption. That way, you can see right in the
taskbar button of your app, if it still breathes.

One other suspicion: you're short of RAM and have something running with a
memory leak. I have an app with no leak, but reeeeeeally memory hungry. Once
that thing is up, it surges all available real memory and when I reactivate
one of the other windows, it takes like until next tuesday before they have
swapped themselves out of virtual and into real memory. One other prog, that
does have a leak, slowly gobbles all RAM until everything else stalls. If,
at that point, I close it, it looks frozen, but actually needs about 20%
*more* RAM to shut down - I suspect a side effect of the garbage collection,
trying to free the leaked resources and having to build a hash or something
like that. After a couple of minutes, it really closes and everything is
back to normal.

If on NT or 2k, keep the task manager open and watch, which app or process
burns the CPU power and RAM. If on 9x, the task scheduler worx differently
there and you can have one malfunctioning app freezing all others, given a
few conditions.