I know that previous versions of GUI were fault-tolerant towards missing
-name parameters, which 558 is NOT. Make sure that all your objects (not
only widgets, also windows and labels!) have a unique -name. Non-unique
-names won't cause crashes, you just can't access any of the redefined
objects. But missing -names can cause perl to quit. If they do that with the
page fault in the vc runtime, I can't tell, but it's worth a shot.

have fun,
Harald