Glenn L. reported that the problem (i.e. the file list goes & stays
blank when changing from the initial filter) doesn't occur on Win2kSP4.
And here's some more details from my fiddling around:

- Changing the order of the "use" statements
  has no effect on the problem.
- It fails when bringing in the constants of
  any MS Office app, be it Excel, Word,
  Access, Outlook, or PowerPoint.
- The statement "use Win32::OLE:Const;" does
  not cause the failure.
- Explicitly setting every single argument
  for GetOpenFileName does not help any.  (I
  thought perhaps some arg was getting
  clobbered).
- Only occurs on the Explorer-style dialog,
  not the older non-Explorer view (argument
  "-explorer => 0").

So it smells like a Microsoft DLL issue, but what do I know.  My
workaround is to provide only one filter, namely "All Files".

-Ed V