From: Glenn Linderman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 2:55 PM
To: Plum, Jason
Cc: perl-win32-gui-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [perl-win32-gui-users] OS Version-Limited Features

Seems like Rob May recently added Balloon help to notify icons, as a
conditionally available feature based on OS version.  I haven't yet had
a chance to look at his code changes.

Everything is possible, of course, but it seems that the MS way of doing

multiple versions is to define different length structures, whose length

is initialized before passing to the API, and the "easy" method of doing

that is recompiling with newer header files, rather than dynamically
determining which version to use based on the OS version.  So, MS
doesn't make it easy to build a module that customizes itself to the
capabilities of the OS... but then again, their design center is to make

things easy to encourage people to upgrade the OS.... want this feature?

  Upgrade the OS.  And if an App wants to use a feature not in Win95,
and does so using the MS way, then it locks itself out of the Win95
market... want this app?  Upgrade the OS...  etc.  Upgrade, upgrade,
upgrade, more $ for MS :)

But, it is possible, you just have to work harder at it.

On approximately 1/25/2006 10:26 AM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Plum, Jason:

--

Having identified a vast realm of ignorance, Wolfram is saying that much