I've looked at several Window's Explorer replacements to see if they
might be faster, but they really aren't and I suspect that much of that
is due to them using the same underlying Windows OS functions as
Explorer does. I can CD and DIR with blazzing speed at a DOS prompt, but
the GUI's are too slow.

Creating my own explorer using WIN32::GUI was one thing I tossed around,
but I had a question of those familiar with the directory browsing
functions:

Does WIN32::GUI simply use much of the OS's functions for browsing
directories and thus suffer the same SLOW response over a VPN
connection?

Yeah, all the browsing functions are Win32 API, so you wouldn't get any improvements.

Assuming Perl internal functions have the same speed as the DOS prompt you could hack something together and display the results in a Win32-GUI object.

Cheers,

jez.