http://perldoc.perl.org/perlvar.html#$OSNAME

$^O or "use English" and $OSNAME will tell you a little more than what
you're trying to do.  What you're trying kind of reminds me of how
Javascript'ers figure out the browser or XHR call they need.

As far as the shebang line (#!...), you're right, that doesn't work in
Windows.  But, you can always run your Perl code from the command line
by explicitly calling perl.  Example: "%> perl myscript.pl".  That
works no matter the OS you're using.

Under Windows, you can optionally associate files with .pl extensions
with the perl.exe executable.  That shouldn't be too hard to figure
out in your windows explorer: just double click a .pl file.  Windows
associations also work from the command line.  Although, if you're
running your scripts as cgi scripts under apache on Windows, you can
do both the shebang line or windows file extension associations.  Just
check out your apache configuration file....

Just to let you know, your question was posted to mailing list for the
Win32-GUI module, so it wasn't really topical for this mailing list.
If you have any other questions regarding running Perl under windows
or unix, they would be better addressed in a different mailing list.
Activestate hosts a bunch like perl-win32-users or perl-unix-users.
See: http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Perl/Mail/

Thanks,
Charles Alderman