--- "Eric C. Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi. I am writing a Win32::GUI application to open a
> fixed length record text
> file for
> viewing/editing.
>
> I am supposed to program the application to allow
> deleting of records.
>
> Has anyone done it with
> syswrite in Perl?(records are fixed length
> 307 including linefeed).

I've not done it myself but there are two examples in
the Perl Cookbook that deal with what you're trying to
do.

If you don't have that book, take a look at the man
pages for read and seek. read lets you read X number
of bytes beginning at a defined offset. seek lets you
position yourself in the file at a specific location.

Good luck.