I had a couple of questions about installing a module without using ppm. Or I
should say when it's not available via ppm. I took time today to research this
and figured out how to do it. At least it works for me. So I thought I would
share it with the group. Im running Win2000, but would assume ;-( this will
work on nt, possibly 95, 98.

1)      First of all you have to install nmake. Go to link.
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/nmake15.exe

2)      It is a small .exe file. Copy it somewhere in your C drive.
3)      Launch a dos window, navagate to the directory where you downloaded
nmake15.exe.
Type "nmake15" (without the quotes). There are now three new files in the current
directory: "nmake.exe", "nmake.err" and "readme.txt". The two files "nmake.exe"
and "nmake.err" needs to be placed in a directory where windows will look for
them if you (or a program) types "nmake" at the command line. One such place
is the "system32" folder in the "WinNT" folder. Put the two files "nmake.exe"
and "nmake.err" there. It seems they can be put in other alternative places
too. If you right-click "My Computer" and then choose
"Properties"->"Advanced"->"Environment
Variables"->"System Variables"->PATH you should see a list of places where Windows
looks for commands.
4)      At this point extract the zip file to a folder.
5)      In your dos window navagate to the folder where you extracted the zip file.

6)      I installed DBIx::Recordset so I used. C:\Perl\DBIx\DBIx-Recordset-0.19-beta>

7)      Then type perl makefile.pl
8)      You will be asked a few questions concerning ADO, ODBC, and Proxy. When done
with that type nmake. You should get something like:
9)      Mkdir blib
      Mkdir blib\lib
      Mkdir blib\lib\DBIx
      Mkdir blib\arch
      Mkdir blib\arch\auto
      Mkdir blib\arch\auto\DBIx
      Mkdir blib\arch\auto\DBIx\Recordset
      Mkdir blib\arch\auto
      Mkdir blib\arch\auto\DBIx
      Mkdir blib\arch\auto\DBIx\Recordset
      cp Compat.pm blib\lib\DBIx\Compat.pm
      cp Recordset.pm blib\lib\DBIx\Recordset.pm
10)     Then type nmake install
11)     You should get something like.
12)     Microsoft ® Program Maintenance Utility Version 1.50
Copyright <C> Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

Installing C:\Perl\site\lib\DBIx\Compat.pm
Installing C:\Perl\site\lib\DBIx\Recordset.pm
Writing C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\DBIx\Recordset\.packlist
Appending installation info to C:\Perl\lib/perllocal.pod

        IT NOW SHOULD WORK ;-)

Anyone who tried this let me know if this was helpful.
Allan.
--
http://www.provide.net