I have written a script that allows users to upload files over the net.
This is nice but only one file can be uploaded at a time since this is an
online form.

I need to write another script that will allow for batch processing.  The
user will ftp the batch to our server from their command line.  On our side
we need to be waiting for the ftp and then do something with it.
I have never delt with batch processing before.  I have many questions as to
how this works.  I'm not sure how to "wait" for an ftp.  I think that might
deal with sockets and ports but not sure.  Is this part something the
sysadmin takes care of?  We are running Unix.  In addition, this ftp must be
secure due to the sensitive nature of the content.

Any advice on how this should work would be GREATLY appreaciated.

many thanks,
byron

"When you sell a man a book, you don't sell him 12 ounces of paper and ink
and glue - you sell him a whole new life." - Christopher Morley

"Thanks O'REILLY." - Me