I do not think you need to write a regex.  I think one of the data modules
can do the conversions for you.

Try Date-Manip using UnixDate  ($olddate"%m/%d/%y  %r").  This is the
slowest of the Date routines so there may be another one to try.

Scott

                    "Doug Brewer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    Sent by:                                     To:
"perl-win32-users"
                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    eState.com                                   cc:

                                                                 Subject:     regex -
conditionals?

                    01/04/01 10:22 AM

I have a regex question. I need to convert a tab delimited file of date and
time
values to a different format.

I need to get to:

YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS

what i'm starting with is:

4/23/1998        4:55:37 PM
^            ^ these need to be 2 digits

The difficulty I'm having is not reversing the date value, or converting
the
time value to 24 hours from a 12 hour am/pm. I am having difficulty making
sure
that the HH:MM:SS are all two digits, and the same with the MM-DD portion
of the
date.

For instance, I am using this to reverse the date (and change the
separators):

but how do I conditionally add a leading zero if $2 or $1 are of length==1?

TIA,

Doug Brewer