In defense of WinME, its very good for a Win9x operating system.  MS got rid
of the 16-bit real-mode drivers and the real-mode DOS bootstrap routines.
WinME is a lot more stable than Win98SE.  However, programs that relied on
that kind of stuff are going to have problems.  That includes older Windows
programs that tried to slip old DOS tricks under the mat.  WinME is more
than a tarted-up version of Win98SE.  It's Microsoft's way of saying "be
ready to be assimilated into Win2k or be left behind."  It's about time MS
broke some old things to make the new programs run better.

That said, Win2k is better if your PC will run it nicely (>=733MHz CPU and a
lot of RAM).  I've used it on a PII/450 and sometimes thought, "Is the OS
running from the CD-ROM drive?"

Michael

> My personal choice is Win2k Pro - if you *have* to have Windows,
> which I sadly do.  Win ME is really Win98se tarted-up a bit,
> so is intended for "home users" (gamers!) and Win2k pro is
> really NT5 (and plays most games!).
>
> Most pro software never mentions Me compatibility, ASAIK.
>
> Cheers
> lee
>
> At 14:10 30/03/2001 -0500, Smith, Eric - WPAFB/YSXOI wrote:
> >Which is considered better for use at home?  I think I recall some
concerns
> >over Win Me expressed here on the list (don't remember the specifics).
> >
> >I will use this system for Perl and Web consulting as well as basic home
> >office stuff.  It will be on a small network.
> >
> >Before someone suggests it... I know Linux is the answer to all my woes -
it
> >has a very nice place in my home also - but for now, I have to have
Windows