From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 9:13 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: directory again

>Hi,
>I need to be able to recursively go through a directory and if i encounter
>file folder, perform the same actions on the files in that file folder.
is
>there a simple way to do this, like with an if-statement?
>thanks
>tanya graham

Tanya,

Please try to avoid replying with someone else's post, and just changing
the subject, it's confusing.

Everyone here seems to have gone far out of their way to respond to your
earlier directory dilemma, including me, so allow me to now voice a few
suggestions.

>From your previous post, and this one I think it's fair to assume you are
very new to perl.  The reason I like this mailing list so much is that they
are very kind to newbies, and I've never seen a flame war on this list.
Being new, it's often easy to not even know where the documentation is.
First, check the FAQ's, they are installed in HTML format when you install
ActiveState perl, many "easy" problems can be resolved right there.  Many
people in response to your previous post pointed towards perldoc (perldoc
-f opendir ) as a tool to find information about function and module usage.
Another tool is PPM, which you can use to search for modules and install
them from ActiveState's (or any other ) ppm repository.  Often it's good to
run a search for what you're looking for through there (such as "dir" or
"file" in your case), install a few "likely" sounding packages and then run
perldoc on them to see if they offer the features you are really looking
for.  You can type "help" in ppm for usage help, and perldoc perldoc will
give you more than you ever wanted to know about how to use perldoc.  Also
look at the O'Reilly series of perl books, as they are invaluable
resources.  You can find info on them at www.perl.com.  I apoligize to all
for this long post, but while I think none of us has a problem helping, I
personally have a problem when someone doesn't help themself first.

To answer your current question, you may want to take a look at the
File::Find module as this will recurse through a directory tree and can
perform a specified callback (subroutine) on each file it finds.

Sorry for the long post,

Chuck