Note:  Because this message discusses the content of two different Perl
mailing lists, it is being posted to each.  Apologies in advance for any
cross-posts.

In his recent article on www.perl.com., "Turning the Tide on Perl's Attitude
Toward Beginners" (http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/05/29/tides.html), Casey
West writes that the "Perl community has held tight to a 'zero tolerance'
policy for beginners.  He cites the hostile attitude beginners face when
inadvertantly posting questions that have been asked many times before, only
to be flamed and ordered to go "RTFM."  West goes on to describe a number of
new mailing lists whose purpose is to create a more "friendly, fire-free
environment to foster growth and knowledge in the masses."  These lists
include [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
beginners-workers as well as new IRC channels.

West's efforts are laudable.  In reflecting on my own experience on Perl
mailing lists over the last year, however, I began to wonder whether the
problem West describes may be found in some parts of the community but not
others.  The two Perl mailing lists to which I subscribe (neither of which
he mentions in his article) are remarkably flame-free, and I have never
personally experienced hostility when posting to them.

I further wondered whether there was any way of testing how hostile a
particular mailing list is.  I figured that a crude measure of a particular
mailing list's hostility would be the frequency with which the phrase "RTFM"
appears on postings to the list.  I was able to research this with the aid
of archives I have built up since July 2000 by using my program digest.pl, a
do-it-yourself archive for digest versions of mailing lists (available at
http://www.concentric.net/~Jkeen/digest/digest.zip).  This program extracts
individual messages from daily digests, then posts those messages to text
files which track individual discussion threads.

As a result of daily application of this program, I have built up a large
archive of thread files for the two mailing lists,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I first used Explorer to find all thread files which contained the phrase
"RTFM" and copy them to a subdirectory.  I then wrote a Perl program which
opened each thread file, located each instance of "RTFM," and printed to a
log the offending line of text along with the message number, subject and
sender of the message.  I then eyeballed the log to eliminate cases where
"RTFM" was quoted in the reply to a message.  We are thus left exclusively
with original instances of the use of "RTFM" in postings to these mailing
lists.

Here are the results: