For doing awk, shell scripts, SAS, and perl:  Gnu Emacs.  I've tried XEmacs,
but there were some minor quirks that annoyed me (but that certainly don't
annoy most people).  Emacs (of any flavor) is a pain in the ass to learn,
but it's such a useful tool that it's worth it, IMHO.  And it's available on
all OSes.

E.g.:  I was pulling codes for footnotes from a large document and putting
these codes in a second document.  It was a breeze.  Then I wanted to delete
duplicate lines... No uniq option in Emacs, but Emacs will support Unix
utility ports.  So, I found uniq on the web, downloaded, put it in the right
directory, and ran it from Emacs.

That sort of thing.