> I'm output a massive list to STDOUT but wish to break it like the MORE
> function in DOS.  For instance I have a huge array and for each row the
> array I'm outputting to STDOUT.  But when the output reaches the end of
the
> page, I would like to pause it.  What's the best way to do this?
>
> thanks
> Chuck

Chuck,

This is what I use in a program that mimics the Unix head command:

            # After you have displayed a line, assuming that $Displayed
equals zero at
            # the start of the script:

            $Displayed++;

            # Prompt the user each time after a block of 45 lines has been
displayed.
            if (($Displayed % 45) == 0)
            {
                print(STDERR '<Return> to continue with this file...');
                $Prompt = <STDIN>;
                last if (length($Prompt) > 1);
            }

Dirk Bremer - Systems Programmer II - ESS/AMS  - NISC St. Peters
636-922-9158 ext. 8652 fax 636-447-4471

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.nisc.cc