[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>As a detour, have you tried opening a pipe from "type" to allow you
>to read the file contents via perl?

No, haven't, but I think it would probably work, and its a pretty
good idea.  What I'll probably do is Win32::File::FileCopy it
back to a temp directory though (all I really want to do is
a Digest::MD5 of the file after its copied, after all, it is
a (simple?) backup program I started out on).

>Also, does sysopen, sysread, also fail?
Yes.

>Have you tried to read the media via a normal CD drive?
No, and I don't think UDF formatted disks can be read on a normal
CD.  But I have read the media on another CDRW outfitted for
UDF, and the data is fine.