Michael D. Smith wrote:

> Very interesting. I've used system before, without anything where the
> 'Start' is. Without commands, it waits and returns only after the called
> program is closed, in this case notepad:
>
> system ('C:\\Windows\\Notepad.exe ', 'C:\\Windows\\TEMP\\TextFile.txt')
> == 0
>            or die "Mysystemdie $?";
>
> Will open TextFile.txt in Notepad, and wait while the user makes changes
> in the file, and saves it, and return when notepad is closed. You can
> then read the text file with PERL and get user input in that manner,
> which was what I wanted at the time. Which now seems may even be a
> downright error, that I just got away with. It happens, rarely, but it
> happens:) Or there could be a default command.
>
> I just tried it with start, and it does indeed come right back without
> waiting for Notepad to be closed.
>
> Which brings up the question, are there any other commands that will go
> there?
>
> The Camel book was typically cryptic showing only a $command variable in
> this position. Advanced perl programming, perl in a nutshell,
> programming perl, at least the online versions at:
>  http://www.mmg.vmei.acad.bg/perl/search/nsrch.htm all have exactly the
> same thing. Learning perl has some examples -- of executing a UNIX shell
> -- which is little help to us Win32 users. Of course I just did a
> search. I didn't read every bit of all those books. There may be
> something more specific about it in them, somewhere.

start basically backgrounds the program it started, so it's running

detached from the program that called start.  You can background
any program when you start it (Win32::Process::Create with DETACHED_PROCESS
flag) and, on UNIX, you can have the shell do it for you by appending '&'
to the command.

--
   ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert   ICQ=162126130
  (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles   Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]