From: Ken Swift [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 28 June 2002 21:08
To: Perl Win32 List
Subject: Should I use perl?

I am having seconds, third and fourth thoughts about
using perl to build an application.  Here is a brief
explaination about what I am trying to do.  I am
building a server monitoring program on Win32 using
the WMI, HTTPLite, Net::Ping and IO::sockets.  What
happens is this.

1.  Setup a group of different checks.  For example
Webservers would be a group then you assign
individuals that should be notified if a error is
detected with any "Check" in the group.

2.  Setup the servers that belong to the group.   Each
server can be flagged online/offline, so that error
are not reported if the server is not online.

3.  Setup the checks that belong to a server.  For
example:  Disk Spacer, Memory, HTTP Response Codes,
Ping, TCP/IP port access, Service Status, Server
Status and whether or not a section of text is found
in a webpage.  Each check is configured to repeat at a
certain interval for example disk checks do not as
often as service checks.

As you can see...the multiplying factor can quickly
add up.  For example 2 Groups with 5 servers in each
and 8 checks per server is 80 checks.  I am storing
all the configs in flat files, so that I could be
database independent.

Now...the problem.  I open up a file that has all the
checks in it and run each check in a fork()
thread/process.  Each check is in an infinite loop
while(), so that it runs until the application is
terminated.   This entire application is a
win32::daemon that runs as a service at server
startup.  I read somewhere that I can have a max of
64 fork() thread/processes.

Is perl an OK language to do this application in or
should I go down a different road?

Thanks -- Ken

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is
unauthorised.if you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Please note that any views, opinions or advice
contained in this email are those of the sending individual and not necessarily those
of the firm. It is possible for data transmitted by e-mail to be deliberately or
accidentally corrupted or intercepted. For this reason, where the communication is by
e-mail, J&E Davy does not accept any responsibility for any breach of confidence which
may arise from the use of this medium. If you have received this e-mail in error
please notify us immediately at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] and delete this e-mail from
your system.