On 10/09/2002 15:55:14 perl-win32-users-admin wrote:

>> oops, do that and you'll confuse it. swap that for
>>
>> $dir=~s'\'/'g; #not interpolated with single quotes
>
>Huh? I've never heard of that. It doesn't work for me either. What version
>of Perl are you using, and where is this documented?

The "not interpolated with single quotes" is documented in "Quote and
quote-like operators" in perldoc perlop. This won't affect the fact that
backslash needs backslashing. Turning "backslash followed by n" into a
newline is interpolating and can be turned off. Removing the special
meaning of the next character is not interpolating and cannot be turned
off. You need that if you want to write

s'\''`';          # a perverse way of turning apostrophes into backticks.
s'  \'  '  `  'x; # slightly more legible

You'll always need a backslash to turn ' from a delimiter to a
plain ol' character.

--
Csaba Ráduly, Software Engineer                           Sophos Anti-Virus
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        http://www.sophos.com