----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Dubois" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> That's why I asked you if the -O option worked.  I think the standard
> editions of Microsoft compilers don't include the optimizer.  Seems to be
> true for VC++ 6 too:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/productinfo/previous/vc6/datasheet/feature
.asp

> Maybe VC++ 6 Standard Edition supports the -O switch, but still doesn't
> optimize.  With the VC++ 7 compiler from the .NET Framework SDK you get a
> warning that optimization is disabled when you try to use -O anyways.  But
> then, the SDK is free, so you cannot really complain.
>
> Cheers,
> -Jan

Yes - it looks as though the -O options are silently ignored.

I looked at 'nmake /?' and 'cl -help' and couldn't find any of the options
appearing in 'perl -V' except for '-nologo' (in both cl and nmake) and '-MD'
(in cl). They are actually quoted as '/nologo' and '/MD' which I guess is
the same thing ??

cl help did list the following compiler optimisation flags:

/G3 optimize for 80386
/G4 optimize for 80486
/G5 optimize for Pentium
/G6 optimize for Pentium Pro
/GB optimize for blended model (default)
/GA optimize for Windows Application
/GD optimize for Windows DLL

Is it likely that any of them would be useful ?

>From what I can gather, the next step up from msvc 6.0 standard edition
(which does support -O optimisations) costs around $US1000. That be right ?

I can't find any mention of the -O optimisations with 'gcc -help' either,
though it *is* documented. It's all rather confusing.

Cheers,
Rob