I do that allot but it is frustrating converting the strings to work inside
of perl. Once you crack the code put it into a helpful hint file for
yourself like what Richard Beckett did for Excel.

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Jolley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 2:25 PM
To: S C
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Extracting information from Word Document

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, S C wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to do a quick script to extract infomation from a MS Office 2000
Word
> document. I have found that I should use Win32::OLE and it is quite simple
> to open the document. What I can'tfind out is how to do the following:
>
> I want to select all Level3 Headings in a specific chapter. Or more
> precisely (consider this document layout)
>
> 1 Chapter1
> 1.1 Chapter 1.1
> 2 Chapter 2
> 2.1 Chapter 2.1
> 2.1.1 First
> 2.1.2 Second
> 2.2 Chapter 2.2
> 2.2.1 Third
>
> So what I want is to extract these lines
> 2.1.1 First
> 2.1.2 Second
> 2.2.1 Third
>
> My problem is that the Win32::OLE documentation points out the Office VB
> documntation as and not being a VB scripter it is not so easy for me to
find
> out how to do this in perl. I assume this is indeed possible but can
someone
> hint me how to this.

This is not a direct reponse to your request for assistance -- it's more
of a 'did'ja know' type message.

With most of the Office suite of products you don't have to be a
master VB script writer to create a macro. You can turn on an option
to automatically record your menu selections, mouse clicks, etc. and
save those actions as a macro. Then you can look at the text of the
macro to see if porting it to perl OLE function calls makes sense.

**** [EMAIL PROTECTED] <Carl Jolley>
**** All opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer ****