From: Peter Guzis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 12:23 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: download patches.

I tried this once and gave up due to lack of time.  While parsing XML
data can be fun, I think you will find it much easier to parse the
hfnetchk output than try to sort through the monster XML file it uses.

A larger problem is how to download patches.  Microsoft does not use one
standard web page for all technet/knowledge base/patch files.  This is
especially true with older patches.  In some cases you have a pulldown
with different languages and a submit button.  In others you have a
table of different downloads.  Sometimes you have a pseudo-tree view
with a patch details branch that needs to be expanded.  Do you see a
pattern here?

A few questions:
1. How many systems would this be running on?
2. Would this be for use on a production network?
3. Are you wanting to automatically install the patches too?
4. Is there a reason the Automatic Updates feature of Windows XP/Windows
2000 SP3 and above won't work?

Peter Guzis
Web Administrator, Sr.
ENCAD, Inc.