Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2003 12:39
Subject: RE: 502 error occurred in IIS 4.0

Only a perfect coder should use ISAPI filters.  If your perl process goes nutty, haywire, or just plain rampant, then you have quite effectively brought down the web-server.

It is also a potential security flaw, ie above situation, but a bad guy decides to overflow something, not the good guys like you and I :)  Plus the speed benefits are marginal.  We're not talking P2-400's anymore, almost every webserver is at least a dual p3-gigger..

How about something simple like a database lock?  ODBC Manager, by default only allows 3 concurrent connections (i think) .  And your ISP hoster should have TCP timeouts on the server to drop connections, as well your perl script should have a routeine to check the connection between itself and the end-user.

MK