From: Gary Nielson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 2:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Interested in thoughts on how to hand off to mirror of script on
another server

I have a script that I would like to run no matter what during the day. Of
course, if there's a power outage or storm, equipment or network problems,
that script isn't *always* going to run. Since my computer is on a UPS, I am
thinking that somehow I would be able to find out when the server is
shutting down, send an email to another server that would activate the same
script there, and have that script do the job until the first server is back
up. Of course, depending on email won't work if it's the network that's
down. I presume people do this all the time -- do they ping? -- but I've
just never done it and I'd be interested in how you'd go about it, what
cautions to watch out for, any examples or approaches I could at to do this
in perl on either a Windows or Linux box. Any help appreciated.